Wednesday 21 December 2016

THURSDAY 22nd DECEMBER


                                                                     Fork Handles
                                                Oh how we've waited to add this caption!

Lord Jesus

We pray that your coming may transform our work:
Help us to labour eagerly and honestly,
To know that everything we do has a place in your purpose.

We pray that your coming may transform our family life:
May we learn in our homes the peace, love and generosity
We should show to all people.

We pray that your coming may transform society:
Inspire us to hunger and thirst for what is right,
To work against injustice wherever we find it.

We pray that your coming may transform the world,
Bringing peace and justice to all nations,
And turning the forces of science and technology to good ends.

Amen.


Prayer Space:

Just two more opportunities to use Open Church and explore this week's Prayer Space: the church will be open after Morning Prayer from 9.30 until noon both today and tomorrow.

As Mary and Joseph travel to Bethlehem, this week Prayer Space asks you to consider the baggage you're carrying into Christmas, to put it down and to place yourself in the Nativity action. Where do you fit in?


Your week?

Just another Manic Monday?  Torrid Tuesday:  Whizzy Wednesday: Thundering Thursday: Furious Friday:  Sapping Saturday:  Suffering Sunday ?

Take five.  You and Him.  Explain.  Listen.  Be calmed.  Renegotiate the day.


                                                               Snowdrops: Lilford


Winning the lottery

I hadn't been expecting that -
Her looking so young.
Perhaps I hadn't been listening at the briefing.
Easy to be dazzled in those high marble halls.

Precociously challenging in stance and set.
No visible tattoos.
Large eyes searching mine.
I tell you, I felt imtimidated. Me!
At a loss how to pitch my line.

I said might she like to sit down?
Not really she replied Happy as I am thank you.
I folded my wings.
Dropped the bombshell.
(I like these moments).
Oh she murmured.
(There was a hint of satisfying unsteadiness I thought).
By instinct a hand fluttered down to her belly
Flat under the fullness of the black skirts.

Run that past me again?
I did. With relish.
Explained that with Him everything is possible.
Ditch your logic, forget your physics,
Anything you thought you knew about biology.

Rather too quickly she said
OK whatever I'll do it.
I was a bit put out.

I'll leave you the contract I said.
You might want to read the small print.
There are consequences.
No rights, no royalties,
No book deals, a gagging clause.
A reputation:
Obedient, submissive, meek, pure.
You may be stalked, trolled,
Held up for inspection,
Caricatured, misunderstood...

I know she said and smiled.
That's the way it is these days.
My heart melted.
You have to make sacrifices for any child.
Why not this one?

                           Vince Cross

 Antiphon:

O King of the nations, and their desire,
the cornerstone making both one:
Come and save the human race,
which you fashioned from clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment